Periscope, Facebook Live, and YouTube Mobile Live Streaming are focused on this column. In the live streaming app category, all of them represent for the lions and tigers and bears. What is Learn Build Earn ? So, at the beginning of the year when I had written this column, the title might have been “Meerkat, Periscope, and Facebook Live, oh my!”. However, a few months ago with the roll-out of YouTube Mobile Live Streaming the landscape in this category shifted, then something had to change. Ok, a joke that I have never heard is “Four people with live streaming apps walk into a bar…”
Well, let’s look closely at Periscope, Facebook Live, and YouTube mobile live streaming. And after that, when we have a little extra time, let’s quick look at what happened to Meerkat in our circle back, although this will whole violate the rule of 3, whimsical, capricious and an arbitrary writing principle that suggests that things that come in 3 are funnier, more satisfying, or more effective than other numbers of things.
What Video Marketers Need to Know About Periscope
To share live video broadcasts from smartphones of video marketers, Periscope is a free app that enables. Here is some other feature of it that video marketers should know about, because the experience is not one-way, in real-time by sending comments and hearts viewers can write their feedback:
- Twitter: On Twitter by tapping the bird icon before video marketers begin broadcasting, they can share their Periscope broadcasts. And their Twitter followers can watch either on the web or in the app, if they go live and they tweet a link.
- Replay: If a broadcast is over, video marketers can replay it available then it can be watched by other viewers later. With comments and hearts to relive the full experience, viewers can make to replay a broadcast. Although replays recently last 24 hours, at any time a video marketer can delete a replay.
- Private: When video marketers would like broadcast to specific people, they just press the lock icon before going live and select who to invite to watch it.
- Manage notifications: To follow based on video marketers Twitter network, people will be suggested by When they do not want those people to be notified if they go live, new people can always be followed, or unfollowed by video marketers, and in the Periscope Settings of their Profiles they can also adjust their notification preferences.
- Hearts: To let a broadcaster know that viewers are enjoying the broadcast a quick and easy way is h To share the fun they only tap their screen!
There are some additional tips and examples of brands that are using Periscope that were shared by the Senior Director of Global Brand Strategy at Twitter, Ross Hoffman. For instance, to tease target of Lilly Pulitzer line in April Periscope was used and in a few days 90 percent of the collection sold out. And again in May the brand used Periscope to broadcast its Eddie Borgo designer jewelry and handbags because it found the app so effective.
Although Features Just May be Prime Minister, Content is total King!
However, for live streaming no matter which mobile app you use, you will want to take from Hoffman with these some ideas and best practices. “Choose the right content” that the sentence he said when he kicks off his list of tips and examples: On the other hand, although features may be the recent Prime Minister, content is a King (depend on where you live it may be a Queen)!
Well, it is useful to know that Periscope will instantly notify your followers, comment, send you hearts and who can join in real-time if you go live on it. Also if you get more and more hearts, they flutter on the screen. However, to make the big bucks when you really want to do it, your company or clients can be helped to figure out to live streaming what kinds of content are more suitable before they go live. And, you might consider broadcasting with 7 types of content according to Hoffman:
- Cross-platform stories: With a fresh example Hoffman shows this type of content with the question what the heck are these?To add an interactive element to a TV campaign Periscope currently was used by a telecom company, Orange France. A TV ad was run by the brand, after that to cast votes Twitter users were asked about the ad by using the hashtag #HelpVictor. And that is now about a story of cross-platform.
- Product launches: Yeah, although all of our are known this type of content is what about, another fresh example is provided by To build buzz about upcoming features, network of product evangelists of Adobe began broadcasting daily Periscopes from around the world in May. And the anniversary was celebrated by the brand with Periscopes of the version in 2015 of Creative Cloud every hour, on the hour, for 24 hours in early June. Ok, for your next product introduction it is an idea you could get.
- Special promotions: It is similar with the aspect above because all of our are known this type of content is what about. However, you can mention in your next marketing meeting with this another fresh example: To promote “Breakfast Defector Day” a mock press conference was hosted by Taco Bell in April. On Cinco de Mayo to enjoy a free Biscuit Taco viewers were invited by the brand to stop at their fast-food restaurants. Do you think it is hot idea?
- Customer education: The self-explanatory is about this type of content. However, Periscope is being used by the brand to share how-to videos and tutorials, to add to your growing repertoire this is an example about that: Benefit Cosmetics Periscoped makeup artist Maggie Ford Danielson sharing beauty tips. Although I am not the target demographic, I am told by reliable sources that this is a very popular genre.
- VIP access: With your best customers or key influencers you can always to provide access whenever you want to exclusive events. Which gave followers a front row seat to the #coachmens2016 fashion show in London on June 13, the luxury fashion company Coach was told by To take viewers backstage with the show’s models and to broadcast an exclusive interview with its creative director Periscope was also used by the brand. You are too.
- Ordinary moments: For instance, Hoffman told about in Austin, Texas Red Bull Periscoped a group of its sponsored athletes “wakeskating”. From the X Games, the athletes were enjoying a day off. When you ask me, some people’s idea of “ordinary” looks pretty extraordinary.
- Extraordinary moments: For instance, Hoffman mentioned Nestlé Drumstick, which currently with Periscopes they celebrated the first day of summer from iconic summer settings: Florida beaches, backyard picnics and amusement parks. Some people’s idea of “extraordinary” looks pretty “ordinary,” when you ask me. Anyway that is not bicker and argue.
This is 5 additional tips (not fresh examples) that Hoffman also provided:
- Create anticipation: To make buzz and wet appetites of people Promoted Tweets can be sent by video marketers about their company or client’s upcoming Periscopes a few days in advance. And when the broadcast is being beginning, they should remember to share the link on Twitter.
- Be real: Before broadcasting on Periscope you do not need to write a script. You can believe it or not. Rather than a polished performance, viewers expect real-time action with Periscope according to Hoffman. And, do not forget what Groucho Marx said, “Sincerityis the key to success. Once you can fake that you have got it made” when your executives or clients till feel the need to rehearse.
- Be responsive: Periscope is an interactive tool, so just treat as that. Viewers of broadcasters should be acknowledged, and be encouraged by Broadcasters make it to engage by asking their viewers questions and replying to their comments in real time. And, executives or clients should use the old “let-me-get-back-to-you-on-that” response (this is an American classic) when they need to duck the occasional question.
- Make the most of your content: Periscopes is kind of as Snapchat Stories last for 24 hours. Well, to reach a wider audience and create the Fear-Of-Missing-Out (FOMO) encourage to What is reason? So, when even more users tuned in for your next broadcast do you not think it be nice? By turning them into Promoted Videos, you can also get a bigger audience for your Periscope broadcasts. That is right, it requires buying advertising. However, Twitter also needs to pay its bills.
- Evaluate and optimize: Tubular Insight readers that examining metrics like number of replays, average watch time, and viewer count can help you determine how effective your Periscope broadcast was. However, when your viewer count was low what do you do? Because your Periscope account try promoting in advance on Twitter, users have a chance to download the app and follow you. And when your average watch time was shorter than you want what do you do? To make your content more interesting scour viewers’ live chats for feedback, and brainstorm ways also a way. Content is still King like I said earlier (or Queen).
Now, you can use whichever mobile app you use for live streaming with a ton of great advice and a plethora of new examples about that. However, here is more:
7 tips for using Facebook Live
To use Facebook Live let’s look at some tips. When Facebook Live was launched last summer, through Facebook’s Mentions app only “public figures” (aka celebrities) got access to it. And, let’s face to face for whatever audience stream live celebrities do not really need to worry about building them. But, in a list of seven tips that the social network shared, the first tip is worth paying attention that “build an audience”, so it is really useful when Facebook Live began rolling out currently to everyone in the US using Facebook Live iOS and Android apps. The complete list of Facebook Live tips and some of examples as follow:
- To build an audience: by posting something on your News Feed let people know ahead of time if you be broadcasting live. For instance from a self-described Public Figure, Mario Batali. What anything else should you do? So, the post can be always promote Facebook also has to pay its bills.
- To get a strong connection: When you want, you need to check to ensure the connection, after you have a strong signal you can go live. Although the best thing is wifi to work, when you can not find a nearby network, a 4G connection is another choice for you. The “Go Live” button will be grayed out if you have weak signal. To solve this problem I currently made a Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot.
- To write a compelling description of your live event: A great description should capture to attract attention of your customer and as well as what your broadcast is about, let’s make sure you can help them understand. For instance from President Barack Obama.
- To ask your viewers to follow you: To get notifications the next time you go live, let tell to tap on the Follow button on your live videos as well as videos that were live to opt-in with your audience because you do not want to turn into another one-hit wonder.
- To use a little schmooze optimization: This is example from a Canadian singer, songwriter and actor, Michael Bublé. When you talk about their name and answer their questions in real time, your audience will be thrilled. It is principle of schmooze optimization.
- To broadcast for at least 10 minutes: For instance from Jack Jones TV. Do you think about it? the more likely people are to discover it and invite their friends on Facebook to watch the streaming video, when you have the longer broadcast. Actually, at least 10 minutes if you want to go live, and up to 90 minutes to stay live, according to Facebook recommends.
- Test, test, and test some more: To keep your audience engaged let’s try different types of broadcasts and as well as go live frequently. For instance from experiments conducted by Carson Daly, Vin Diesel and Lady Antebellum. Do not forget it is just tests. To find more tips and ideas you can always visit live.fb.com.
As you clearly see that there is is not quite as simple as point and shoot in using Facebook Live. However, to connect with your followers and design new ones along the way you also do not need a big budget, weeks of preparation, and a production crew. In YouTube mobile live streaming what things will bring us to it.
YouTube Mobile Live Streaming
Currently, YouTube mobile live streaming was announced to all users of the platform that it will be rolling out by Kurt Wilms, Product Lead, Immersive Experiences at YouTube. It sounds great and I suspect that sharing company of video marketers or clients’ experiences with their communities, many of video marketers will salvage this new way. Actually, some YouTube creators already have. At VidCon you can check out what The Young Turks live streamed :
In my opinion, all the features that your regular videos will be had in Mobile live streaming. As well as all of things like search, find your target audience in related videos and playlists, and protect them by using Content ID will be able, so I am so happy that the YouTube app will be built right into with this option. And if YouTube mobile live streaming use Google’s “robust” infrastructure, YouTube will be faster and more reliable than anything else out there. That is right.
However, do not drink the Kool-Aid. Just hit the big red capture button, select a thumbnail, and broadcast live to your fans is all of things you need to do. It is going to take advanced preparation, a lot of imagination, and a Plan B in case something goes wrong. Why make me to know all this? So, in June 2011 when it was rolled out I tried to use YouTube Live back. And I have read YouTube Live’s best practices, that why. For what I am talking about let me just cherry-pick some of examples to give you a flavor. Streaming guidelines of YouTube among other things said that:
- “Begin testing no less than two weeks prior to your event to ensure everything works properly.” 2 You can have how many of that kind of lead time on a live video project?
- “Always encode on dedicated machine with a fast dual core or greater CPU.” On the other hand, do not use your desktop or laptop for anything else when you use it as your encoder.
- “Connect your encoder to a hard-wired internet connection with no less than 1.5 Mbps consistent upstream bandwidth.” Let try getting the connection in a hotel ballroom and this should be dedicated solely to your live stream.
- “Whenever possible, you should have complete redundancy.” It means to separate entry points both the primary and the backup you need 2 separate encoders on 2 separate networks streaming. I know that will not be cheap.
- “If you decide to incorporate third-party content in a live stream, you must clear the rights to use and monetize this content on YouTube.” What are they talking about? Nine times out of 10, it’s the music.
Now, this was for the version of live streaming that YouTube rolled out back in 2011. And, on the scale of the Royal Wedding in 2011 when you are planning something, Felix Baumgartner’s leap from space in 2012, or a 360-degree live stream during Coachella earlier this year, after that it is still excellent advice. However, we can hope that some new advice for mobile live streaming in the near future were published by YouTube. On the other hand, in January adoption of YouTube mobile live streaming will be slower than molasses.
What Video Marketers Need to Know About Meerkat:
This is the reason it is worth knowing that Meerkat, although this violates the rule of 3. From your smartphone to all of your Twitter followers at once Meerkat permits you to live stream video. Only press “Stream” and your live video stream instantly illustrates in your Twitter of follower feeds. Your followers will get pushed notifications of your live stream if they have the app. What can they do? So Meerkat can help them watch, comment, and interact with you by using the app. Meerkat has now some rules:
- Everything is happening on Meerkat also happening on
- In real time streams will be pushed to followers through push notifications.
- People can just view it live and not be replayed.
- In real time viewers can retweet any stream to their followers.
- Everyone can view on web.
- To be kind.
However, investors of company of Meerkat CEO Ben Rubin had been sent an email with the content included that “The distribution advantages of Twitter/Periscope and Facebook Live drew more early users to them away from us and we were not able to grow as quickly alongside as we had planned” according to Kurt Wagner of re/code reported 3 months ago. After that, Meerkat has done what start-ups often do. In a different direction it has pivoted and is now heading.
Well, the Meerkat app still works, but in this article there is a reason why it is been replaced by YouTube mobile live streaming. Besides, this technically permits me to adhere strictly to the rule of 3. “Four people with live streaming apps walk into a bar…” is a joke that we have never heard before, but there is a reason.